Physical Requirements K-12
Requirements are changing for the 2018-2019 school year
New York State Education Law requires an annual physical examination for students upon entrance to school (including those transferring from other states or other school districts within the state of New York) and routinely at grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11. As well as when they:
- Participate in interscholastic sports (see Sports and Yellow Card Requirements below)
- Need working papers
- Are referred by/to the Committee on Special Education
- Are deemed necessary by school authorities to determine a child’s education program
The school physician may perform the students’ physicals. However, we encourage your family physician to do the exam, as he knows your child’s medical history. If you wish to have your own physician do your child’s physical, please contact the Health Office within the first week of school, as student physicals will be scheduled.
New York State Education Law also requires annual health screens:
VISION: All students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11 are required to have distance acuity screening and new this school year near vision screening. For new students near vision acuity and color perception are required within 6 months of entry.
HEARING: All students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11, and new students are required to have a hearing screening.
SCOLIOSIS: Scoliosis screening is required for boys in grade 9 and girls grades 5 and 7.
These screens are basic and are used as an indicator for possible difficulties. You will be contacted if your child’s health screens are not within the normal range. If you choose not to have your child screened by the school nurse, please notify her immediately and promptly provide documentation from your child’s specialist (pediatrician, audiologist, or ophthalmologist) with complete findings. “Within normal limits” is not acceptable.
Sports and Yellow Card Requirements
Winter Sports sign ups will begin Friday Oct 5th
Here is the link to the website:
If you already have an account please DO NOT create another account. See Below
If you have an incoming 7th grader who has an older sibling and an account was created, go to that account and you can add a new student to the account.
You may use the information you submitted in previous seasons to save time with future registrations. Please use the following steps:
1) Click on the Current Season registration form on your school’s FamilyID
Landing page. https://www.familyid.com/greenwich-csd-ny-athletics
2) Login using the e-mail address and password you created previously (do not create a new account)
3) Choose the sport.
4) Click on “Add Participant Below or Click to Select” and pick your child’s name.
5) Update health and demographic information, if necessary.
6) Sign-off on seasonal agreements.
7) Save and Submit
Physical examinations are required yearly for those students playing sports. The procedure regarding participation in interscholastic sports is as follows:
- Physical Form: May be done by the school physician or the students own doctor. Sports physicals are valid for 12 months. If the student will have the physical done elsewhere the school form must be used starting in the 2018-2019 school year. The doctor must specify that the student is cleared to participate in sports. Any restrictions required must be listed
- Health Assessment Form; Parent/Athlete Info Sheet-concussion: The Health Assessment form provides an in-depth look at the student’s health and the concussion form provides parents/student with information regarding signs/symptoms of concussion. Both forms are included in the FamilyID website and are filled out there.
Once the above criteria for sports participation have been met coaches will be notified via the FamilyID site that a student is eligible for participation.
If an injury, operation, or illness lasting more than five days occurs, the student is automatically removed from sports. A written release from the student’s doctor is needed prior to returning to sports. The school physician will also review and re-approve the student for participation in sports.
Var/JV winter sports begin November 5th, 2018
Modified winter sports can begin November 12th, 2018
7th and 8th grade players can be notified by their coach for the possibility of playing at a higher level of skill other then modified sports. In order to be Selectively Classified, you must be notified by a coach and 3 steps are required:
- Parental Permission must be obtained in order for the process to start. Permission forms will be emailed via the FamilyID website once coaches have informed Karen Strope who they would like to have classified. If your student has classified for another sport they will not have to take the physical fitness test again. If the sport they are playing THIS season is one they have not participated in yet but have passed the physical fitness test for a different sport, only the parent permission portion is needed for the new sport.
- Medical clearance must be performed by our school physician.
- Once medically cleared a physical fitness test must be passed. This test is performed by the athletic director.